Thursday, July 19, 2007

Christian shopping!

I may be stepping on some feet here but the topic of today's blog(rant) is 'Exclusive Christian marketing'. I just recieved a business guide in the mail that markets only Christian businesses. That means if you arn't a church-goer, then you don't get to be in the guide. Now i can see how some people could see this as good: "yahh now I can deal with only christian businesses and not have to worry about getting screwed over!" But i think the people behind the guide missed a certain few sunday school lessons. I personally thought that as christians we were NOT supposed to push others away, NOT think we were better than other people. John 13:34: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." Hmmm now does detaching the 'non-Christian' businesses from the Christian world sound like love? I don't think so.

Do people really think that advertising as a christian business is going to get them more business? Well i guess some shoppers would concider that business more righteous, but I personally wouldn't change my shopping plan because of that. As bad as it sounds I sometimes dont' even like dealing with other 'religious' business people and would rather go to someone who doesn't flaunt church in your face.

I remember once hearing a conversation between a business owner friend who was talking to a customer:

Customer: Hey Jack, with me and you both being christian, how about you give me a better deal on this $20 item??
Owner: Sure, for you, being christian and all, i can sell it for $25.
Customer: (confused) But that's more money!!??
Owner: Well yah, because now its a christian item!

haha

No comments: