Sunday, August 12, 2007

Gold from God?

While eating lunch yesterday at the Market after Presence, I was talking with some people about whether religious people believed in devine gifts, as in stories of 'a diamond falling from the sky' (literally), or 'gold dust falling from the ceiling of a room'. These are supposed stories from Christians who were "looking" for a gift from God. Which brings about the question, Would God really show himself in the form of riches to someone? If you pray hard enough does this mean a block of gold is going to appear infront of me so that I never have to worry about money again? If i say 'God, if you really exist, show me yourself', will He really just be like *POOF* and there it is? Why would He even think he needs to prove Himself to us? You'd think that if people looked around and actually saw, i dunno, THE WORLD, that would be proof enough?
Then there was a story about someone's tooth filling being suddenly turned to gold. I almost laughed at this one. I could see God doing this one tho. Its kinda like 'haha, you wanted a sign of wealth, good luck getting that sucker out!'
But why do some people think that stories like this are truth? I think it could be some higher people in the religion who think 'Ok, if we say that you'll get rich by coming to our church, we'll get the people in', so they start stories?
I dunno, just trying to understand.

No comments: